Benefits of an outpatient hip or knee replacement rochester ny
A hip or knee replacement is seen as a last resort that is used when non-surgical treatments have failed. But for the right patient, advances in technology have made it possible for a person to forgo an overnight stay in the hospital. Outpatient joint replacement surgeries are growing in popularity. In fact, researchers expect that over half of all joint replacement surgeries will be outpatient procedures by 2026.
Why Choose an Outpatient Joint Replacement?
Although a traditional inpatient hip or knee replacement can be beneficial for some patients, many physicians are recommending the outpatient procedure for the right candidates. The main benefits of an outpatient hip or knee replacement include:
- Lowered Medical Costs: Especially for those whose insurance won’t cover the full cost of a joint replacement, an outpatient center is significantly less expensive than an overnight hospital stay.
- Shorter Stay at the Medical Center: With the outpatient procedure, patients will be able to make the recovery in the comfort of their own home.
- Faster Recovery and Lessened Risk of Infection: Studies show that patients tend to recover from surgery more quickly and in addition, are less of at-risk of hospital-acquired infection.
Who Is the Ideal Outpatient Surgery Candidate?
Same day surgery is not recommended for everyone. The right patient for an outpatient hip or knee surgery is someone who is:
- Healthy: Those with serious pre-existing conditions require more attentive medical attention following a surgery than those who don’t. Only healthy patients should undergo an outpatient procedure because there will be much less risk of something going wrong during the recovery process.
- Motivated to Recover: Recovering from such a major surgery at home requires a great deal of will and determination. Recovery exercises will need to be performed regularly and correctly. The patients who make the best recovery are those who are excited about the results they can achieve after the procedure.
- Have a Good Support System: It’s often harder to recover without someone’s help. A family member or a close friend who will help the patient through the first few days of recovery can provide a huge boost to their recovery efforts. They can help with anything from medication, to doing the exercises alongside the patient, to just providing encouragement.
If you have any questions about hip or knee replacements, please call Greater Rochester Orthopaedics in Rochester NY at (585) 295-5476.