Common injuries caused by slipping on ice
Winter weather is in full swing, which means ice is starting to line the sidewalks. With the ice and snow comes beautiful scenery, holiday spirit and a higher risk of ice-related injuries. Here are a few common injuries caused by slipping in icy conditions:
- Back, neck and shoulder injuries
- Dislocations of joints
- Muscle strains
- Severe cuts and bruises
How to Avoid Ice-Related Injuries from Occurring
Preventing slips, trips and falls in the snow is possible by following these safety tips:
- Allow more time for travel, both when walking and driving
- If you must walk on the ice, bend your knees slightly and take shorter steps.
- If you are falling, do not put all the pressure on your wrists to break your fall. Putting too much pressure on your wrists can result in wrist breaks and fractures.
- Use ice grippers, such as spikes.
- Try on footwear before purchasing to ensure the shoes have good traction.
- Avoid carrying heavy loads when walking on ice.
Treating Winter Weather Injury in Rochester NY
The board-certified orthopaedic physicians at Greater Rochester Orthopaedics provide treatment to patients suffering from winter weather injuries. Some of our orthopaedic services include:
- Orthopedic Urgent Care
- Hand, wrist and elbow surgery
- Shoulder surgery
- Spine surgery
- Foot & Ankle surgery
Call (585) 295-5476 or request an appointment today.